The official cocktail of New Orleans, and often referred to as the oldest American cocktail -- the Sazerac is a fine choice for those who like the taste of Rye.
- 1/2 teaspoon absinthe
- 1 teaspoon of simple syrup
- 4 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1 small dash of Angostura bitters
- 2 ounces rye
- Strip of lemon peel
- Add absinthe to the empty cocktail glass, swirl, then dump out.
- Fill a mixing glass with ice, add rye, bitters, simple syrup -- stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain into cocktail glass.
- Squeeze the lemon peel over the cocktail glass, drop it in.