This one comes from the guys who make the awesome Porthole Infuser. As such the directions here are specifically for the porthole, but I imagine you could do the same with anything you usually use for infusions.
- 3 large strawberries
- 1/2 medium sized Navel or Valencia orange
- 2 oz roasted cacao nibs
- 7 oz Tequila Blanco
- 2 3/4 oz Grand Marnier
- 1 dried chipotle pepper
- Wash fruit.
- Quarter strawberries lenghtwise, stem on, and fan-slice them.
- Cut orange cross-grain into 1/8 inch thick slices. Half the slices.
- Arrange 6 strawberry fans in Porthole, alternating skin and pulp facing the glass pane.
- Sprinkle half of cacao nibs on strawberries.
- Arrange a layer of orange slices.
- Sprinkle rest of cacao nibs on oranges.
- Add the dried chipotle pepper. Try and place it where it won't be easily seen. (They're not pretty.)
- Arrange remaining strawberries, lightly packing the Porthole cavity.
- Close Porthole, tighten screw, squeeze, snug screws, and check for good seal.
- Combine tequila and Grand Marnier.
- Fill Porthole with combined liquids.
- Infuse for a minimum of 30 minutes before sampling, consume within 4 hours (extended infusion of orange rind will turn the infusion bitter).
- Herencia Mexicana is recommended, but I had trouble finding that and went with El Espolón Blanco.
- Original source: The María Félix from Crucial Detail